Selling your Maine home in the Fall can be one of the best decisions you make. Home buyers are super motivated to get in before the holidays and some folks have taken their home off the market, creating less competition. Autumn in Maine is also beautiful and evokes feelings of home and hearth in buyers. Research shows that home buyers make their choice based more on emotion rather than logic.
Focussing your efforts on how buyers feel when they walk into your home and tapping into that emotion can set your home apart from the competition. The season also creates challenges for home sellers, but these can be easily overcome by following these top 5 tips for selling your home in the Fall.
- Create an inviting experience through curb appeal.
- Keep the leaves raked and cleared to create a tidy appearance when home buyers first pull up to your home.
- Cut back and clear away dead plants.
- Remove those summer toys and items from your yard and neatly store them away.
- Let your front door tell a welcoming story.
- Make sure the front steps and door are crisp, clean, and free of debris and cobwebs.
- Add seasonal color with a couple of pots of fall mums (these can easily be taken in at night to keep them alive and healthy.)
- Add a tasteful seasonal wreath to your door.
- Add a new, clean welcome mat.
- Wow them from the moment they walk in the front door.
- Keep the entryway tidy and free of leaves, coats, and boots.
- Pay attention to smells. Does your home smell fresh and clean?
- Light it up!
- Turn all of the lights on before you leave on the day of a showing and open up the curtains to let the light in. Make sure your windows sparkle. When it is dark and dreary outside, buyers will instantly feel better once they walk into your well lit home.
- If you have a fireplace or wood stove (and are safely able to - meaning you will return right after the showing,) make sure you have a nice fire going. There is nothing like the ambiance of a warm fire to make buyers feel at home.
- Keep it warm and toasty.
- Make sure your thermostat is set at a comfortable level. A warm and welcoming home will encourage buyers to spend more time in your home. You want buyers to feel welcome and to start imagining what it would be like to live in your home.
Take care of these top 5 items and you will soon be on your way to your new home! Be sure to visit and like our facebook page to keep up on the latest and greatest Maine real estate information.